Our Response to COVID-19. Learn More >
Call Us

Who Is Liable for a Slip and Fall on Government Property?

Written by: Hagelgans and Veronis

Your Rights in a Claim Against a Government Entity

Slip and fall accidents can happen almost anywhere, but what happens when you are injured on government property? Holding a government entity responsible for your damages can be challenging. You must follow strict legal procedures and have a limited amount of time to file a claim. To ensure you get the money you deserve after a fall, you need to speak with an attorney. 

At Hagelgans & Veronis, we know what it takes to hold government agencies accountable for their wrongdoing. We work tirelessly to ensure our clients receive the compensation they deserve. To date, our lawyers have recovered over $300 million in verdicts and settlements. If you have been injured in a slip and fall on government property in Central Pennsylvania, contact our office at (717) 295-7009 to schedule a free consultation. 

Who Is Responsible for a Slip and Fall on Government Property?

If you are injured in a slip and fall accident, one of the first questions you may ask is who can be held liable for your damages. In most cases, liability in a slip and fall case is based on negligence, meaning you must show that a party breached the duty of care that they owed to you and that the breach resulted in your harm. 

As with any property owner, the government can be held liable if someone is injured in a slip and fall within their premises. Unfortunately, holding a government entity accountable for its wrongdoing is often more difficult than holding a private property owner liable. 

How Long Do I Have to File a Claim Against the Government?

Governments typically enjoy what is known as sovereign immunity, which provides protection against liability. However, the Federal Tort Claims Act allows for injured parties to bring a cause of action against a government agency. Pennsylvania also provides an exception to sovereign immunity through the Political Subdivision Tort Claims Act

Under the Political Subdivision Tort Claims Act, a person may recover:

  • Past and future lost wages;
  • Pain and suffering;
  • Medical and dental bills;
  • Loss of consortium;
  • Loss of support; and
  • Property damages.

The Political Subdivision Tort Claims Act requires injured parties to provide written notice to the governmental agency within six (6) months of the date of the injury. Damages under the act are limited to $500,000. 

Should I Hire an Attorney?

Bringing a claim for damages against a government entity is not always easy. Failing to follow the procedural requirements, including providing written notice to the agency within six months, can result in a denial of your claim. 

An attorney can help ensure that your claim is properly filed and that you meet all statutory requirements. They can also help to maximize your damages, making sure that you receive the money you need to fully recover after an accident. 

Injured on Government Property in Pennsylvania? Contact Our Office.

Were you injured in a slip and fall accident on government property in Central Pennsylvania? Contact our office at (717) 295-7009 to schedule a free, no-obligation consultation. With over 25 years of experience, we know what it takes to win.

Share This Story

If you find our personal injury law updates helpful, consider sharing this post to your social media to help your friends and family find current and reliable information.

Speak Directly with Our Attorneys

From the initial free consultation, your case will be handled by an experienced injury attorney, not a paralegal or legal secretary.

I Want To...
uploadcross linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram