Halloween Safety Tips

Urban legends about poisoned Halloween candy have been thoroughly debunked. But there are real dangers parents and guardians should consider as they prepare their kids and teens for a fun night out.

Even if you don’t have young children, it’s important to stay vigilant on the road throughout the festivities. It’s also a good idea to check around your property for potential hazards.

Below, the attorneys at Hagelgans & Veronis discuss safety tips to ensure a fun Halloween.

Beware Pedestrian Injuries

According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, pedestrian injuries are the most common injuries to children on Halloween.

Here are a few ways to avoid an accident:

  • Young children should ALWAYS be chaperoned by an adult. Plan a big group outing—there’s safety in numbers!
  • Always use the sidewalk.
  • Make sure your child can see. Masks, wigs, and costumes shouldn’t block their vision.
  • Costumes should fit well to avoid tripping or contact with flame.
  • Reflective tape, flashlights, or glow sticks make children more visible to drivers.

Kids should also have a plan in case an accident occurs. Review how to call 9-1-1 in case of emergency.

Parents should also advise children to hold off on eating candy until they get home—this will allow parents time to inspect candy for potential dangers, particularly allergens or suspicious homemade treats.

Avoid Property Pitfalls

Homeowners should consider dangers on their property, particularly on Halloween. For example:

  • Remove anything a child could trip over like garden hoses, toys, extension cords, and lawn decorations from the porch and front yard.
  • Ensure adequate lighting. Replace any broken or burned-out bulbs.
  • Ensure walkways are clear and free of debris. Wet leaves or snow could become a hazard.
  • Ensure all pets are properly restrained, safe, and comfortable.

Keep Tabs on Teens

Independent teens can enjoy their freedom on Halloween, and parents can track their whereabouts with useful apps like Life360 or Glympse. These apps let you track users in real-time using phone GPS; they’re free and available on iOS and Android.

Halloween is also a good time to review the dangers of behaviors like distracted driving and driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

Careless teen drivers are a danger to themselves as well as others. Talk with your teen about responsible driving behaviors.

Get safety updates and useful reminders all year long! ‘Like’ Hagelgans & Veronis on Facebook or follow us on Twitter.  

Who Is Responsible for Injuries in a Truck Accident?

Pennsylvania’s fault laws are complicated. They get even more so when a crash involves a tractor-trailer, 18-wheeler, commercial motor vehicles (CMVs), or other heavy trucks.

In the trucking industry, several people and businesses work together to get the job done, so the fault may lie with multiple. However, victims and family members will need to know who is at fault to recover fair compensation.

Below, the central Pennsylvania injury lawyers at Hagelgans & Veronis discuss liability in large truck accidents and how an experienced injury lawyer can help. Continue reading “Who Is Responsible for Injuries in a Truck Accident?”

How to Report Nursing Home Abuse

Elder abuse is an important public health problem. One in 10 Americans 60 and older have experienced some form of elder abuse. Many more cases are suspected—one study estimates that only one in 14 cases are ever officially reported.

Each of us has an obligation to report abuse when it occurs. Pennsylvania has developed several agencies to provide critical oversight in nursing homes and other care facilities.

However, state resources are limited, so it’s up to us to look for warning signs and physical symptoms.

Learn how to report nursing home abuse in Pennsylvania from the elder abuse lawyers at Hagelgans & Veronis, below. Continue reading “How to Report Nursing Home Abuse”

What to Do When Your Teenager Wrecks Your Car

With little experience, teens are some of the most vulnerable drivers on the road.  According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, teens that text while driving are 26 times more likely to crash. In 2016, speeding was a factor in 32 percent of fatal teen crashes; and teens are more likely than anyone to die in an alcohol-related car accident.

The stats are scary, especially for parents who have teens on the road for the first time or are preparing for it in the near future.

Below, the Pennsylvania car accident lawyers from Hagelgans & Veronis discuss what to do if your teen wrecks your car, and how liability works in accidents involving teen drivers. Continue reading “What to Do When Your Teenager Wrecks Your Car”

It’s Back to School Again!

Kindergarten through 9th grade in the School District of Lancaster head back to school on Monday, August 27th; grades 10, 11, and 12 start back the next day, Tuesday, August 28th.

Click here for a complete list of important school dates.

It’s back to school time in Lancaster, and there are plenty of ways to save on school gear, clothing, and more. Check out our favorite ways to save below.  Continue reading “It’s Back to School Again!”